Traders from three of Melbourne’s iconic Markets – Prahran, Queen Victoria and Dandenong Markets – will exercise their creative muscle to prove which market rules when it comes to Australian Pears. Sponsored by Fruit Growers Victoria and supported by the markets, My Market Rules with Australian Pears! Trader Cook Offs will be held at each market over the next month (see dates below).
From Queen Vic will be Rocco Tripodi from Market Juice cooking off against Tony Pham from George the Fishmonger. The recipes are under wraps for now, but all will be revealed at the Cook Off Heat on Friday 4 July.
Dates and times
Friday 27 June at Prahran Market’s Blanco Kitchen from 11am to 12noon
Friday 4 July at Queen Victoria Market Plaza from 11am to 12noon
Sunday 20 July at Dandenong Market Kitchen from 11am to 12noon
Saturday 26 July at Prahran Market’s Blanco Kitchen from 11am to 12noon
Pop in to the markets
Shoppers are encouraged to pop into the markets to join in the fun, cheer on their favourite traders, taste Australian pear varieties and find out delicious ways to enjoy them.
Although the jewel in the crown, Pears aren’t the only thing getting market traders and their customers limbering up. The annual Melbourne Market Awards, which recognise excellence in retailing, will be in full swing. When shoppers pop into each market to cheer on traders competing in the Australian Pear Cook Offs, they can cast their vote for their ‘favourite’ trader to go into the draw to win 1 of 12 $200 Market shopping vouchers.
- With Australian pears being so versatile we can make the most of this year’s bumper crop!
- Pears are high in fibre, which can help lower cholesterol. Pears are low GI, which makes them an ideal nutritious snack to keep you going.
- To check when a pear is ready to eat, press the flesh around the stem gently. If ripe it will give a little.
- Beurre Bosc, Packham’s Triumph, Winter Nelis, Josephine de Malines and Red Anjou and Corella pears are in good supply.
- Victoria is the home to pear production claiming approximately 90% of Aussie harvests with the majority (approximately 85%) grown in the Goulburn Valley.
- Warming dishes fit the bill now that winter has well and truly set in. Check out the tasty recipes at rediscoverthepear.com.au such as Baked Ricotta with Balsamic Roasted Pears, Caramelised Onion and Pear Tart, and Maggie Beer’s recipe for Pears Roasted in Verjuice,
- For a touch of fresh it’s hard to go past sliced fresh pears with sharp cheese such as your favourite Blue or mature crumbly cheddar. Scatter with wild rocket or baby spinach leaves and add walnut halves toasted in a warm oven for that satisfying crunch.