2 teaspoons dry yeast (Nut Trek, Shop 55-56, Dairy Hall)
¼ cup caster sugar (Nut Trek, Shop 55-56, Dairy Hall)
½ cup milk, warmed (Market Organics, Stalls 45-55, I Shed)
2 ½ cups plain flour (Vic Market Organics, Stalls 55-60, I Shed)
1 teaspoon mixed spice (Green Valley Spices, Stalls 36-40, B Shed)
50g butter, chilled, chopped (Tina’s Gourmet Cheese Deli, Shop 33-35, Dairy Hall)
1 egg, lightly beaten (The Chicken Pantry, Shop 85-86, Dairy Hall)
¾ cup sultanas (Nut Trek, Shop 55-56, Dairy Hall)
For the Cross paste
¼ cup plain flour
1 tablespoon caster sugar
1. Grease a 4cm-deep, 18cm x 28cm slice pan. Combine yeast, sugar and milk in a bowl until the yeast is dissolved. Cover and set aside in a warm place for 10 minutes or until foamy.
2. Sift flour and mixed spice into a bowl. Rub in butter, make a well in the centre and add the yeast mixture, ¼ cup warm water, egg and sultanas. Stir to combine. Cover and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
3. Preheat oven to 200°C. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for 5 to 8 minutes or until smooth. Form into 12 balls and place in greased pan, 1cm apart. Cover and set aside in a warm place for 45 minutes or until balls double in size.
4. To make the cross paste, whisk flour, sugar and ¼ cup cold water in a jug and spoon into a piping bag. Pipe crosses onto buns.
5. Bake buns for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 180°C and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
6. Turn buns onto a wire rack to cool. Serve.